SMHS meeting: Truleigh Hill Radar Station

18 May 2016

In 1934, German aircraft production had been stepped up and there were concerns how hostile planes could be detected or potentially destroyed as they approached the British Isles.

A committee was duly formed and an idea adopted from Robert Watson-Watt which used radio waves to locate incoming aircraft. The first radar equipment test took place in Daventry in 1935, the same year the Luftwaffe was formed.

By the outbreak of WW2, the United Kingdom had 20 radar stations in place around its coastline, known as Chain Home. Chain Home Low, Ground Control Interception and Chain Home Extra Low came about in the following years.

In the 1950's the ROTOR plan saw the refurbishment of 28 wartime stations which accounted for the new, fast-jet, nuclear threat by repositioning operations underground. The over-ground elements were built to resemble farm buildings or bungalows, as the locality dictated.
Our May speaker, Roy Taylor, completed most of his National Service at nearby RAF Truleigh Hill and was able to describe, with the help of some excellent photos and illustrative charts, the facility and what it was like to serve there.


Follow us!

Social Media Follow us on Twitter! Like us on Facebook!

Contact us


Join SMHS

For just £10 per year, you can join SMHS and be involved in our projects!

Membership details


Next meeting     [More]

7.30pm for 8.00pm start
Function Room of the
Royal Oak Public House,
Station Street, Lewes,
East Sussex.


Latest SMHS News

SMHS meeting: Show and Tell
21 Dec 2016

Mid Sussex RED launch event
11 Nov 2016

SMHS meeting: Hellfire Corner
19 Oct 2016

SMHS meeting: "1066 and all that"
21 Sep 2016

SMHS meeting: Operation Pedestal
17 Aug 2016


Return to top


This website is Copyright © 2017 Sussex Military History Society

Email: